Thursday, May 17, 2012

Free People Crocheted Maxi Dress

It's clingy.  It would probably snag on everything.  I'd never wear it myself.  But practicalities aside, I have to admire the perfect marriage of fiber, stitch and color in this Free People maxi dress:


A close-up of the stitches:
click image to enlarge

I particularly appreciate how the dress draws its overall look from the openness of the dc-chain-dc mesh.  The delicate, slightly shimmery, airy aesthetic is definitely something I'd like to incorporate in a shrug or long cardigan design.

8 comments:

  1. I can imagine a tunic top version of that, and I'd wear it with jeans. Whenever I see such a lovely crochet design, I can only take a part of it as inspiration. The whole of it is so awesome, I'm not able to comprehend how it was made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lined tunic top in this style does sound lovely.

      And I agree with your other point, about how difficult it is to completely reconstruct an actual crocheted piece. I can get as far as identifying the stitches and even reverse-engineering motifs if they're simple enough, but I always chicken out when it's time to compute how those components will add up to create a good fit.

      Delete
    2. Or should I say, the same fit (as in the piece I'm trying to reconstruct). I think people with a sewing background have a definite advantage in this, since they understand how to work with just a person's measurements.

      Delete
  2. ang ganda no. Maganda yan pang formal.. however, I won't wear it myself hahaha.. tama si ate mimi. gawin na lang syang top :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pwede nga sigurong long top. Parang medyo similar yung hitsura nung thread na ginamit sa look ng Monaco Raylon, no?

      Delete
    2. yup.. pero tingin ko mas manipis ito.. pero same ng drape siguro :) ang ganda ng effect ng loose stitches :)

      Delete
  3. I love the dress :) Though I cannot wear it at that length :) Make it mini and I'm willing to walk the ramp :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baka nga inconvenient yung length nya, lalo na open mesh sya so mag-s-snag talaga sya.

      Delete