Wednesday, February 27, 2013

FO Post Backlog: First Knooking Success

I finished this way back in October 2012 but only got around to taking photos two Sundays ago.  Being a bit of a chronology nut, I have to admit I feel rather uneasy putting this up just now, but anyway:

Started: September 15 ; Completed: October 4

It's based on Sho-sho, which can be downloaded for free on Ravelry.  Thanks to this lovely pattern, I managed to conquer:
  1. My fear of the stockinette stitch
  2. My fear of joining in the round
  3. My fear of picking up stitches
  4. My fear of knitting (knooking) in general

I've also learned:
  1. A no-seam shrug construction.  I changed construction up a bit to avoid having to graft seams.  Instead of knitting a rectangle, seaming the sides and picking up for the ribbing, I started in the middle of the back portion, worked flat for a bit, joined in the round at the sleeve, cast off at the cuff, then pulled out the provisional cast on to work the other side in the same way.  There are other construction sequences that would have allowed me to avoid seams but I wanted to work the right and left sleeves the exact same way to ensure mystitches came out even
  2. Loose knits may be more susceptible to gravity.  I intended for the shrug to have three-quarter sleeves but they've stretched to a full arm's length.
  3. Ribbed shawl collars seem to demand extremely stretchy bind-offs and Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bindoff was what did the trick for me.  
but have yet to master:
  1. Knooking jogless garter stripes  in the round
  2. Maintaining tension when joining in the round. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! And you did it in just a few weeks, I'm amazed! I wish to see this in person :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bring it when we're able to schedule a meetup, Mimi. :) The stitches really aren't that even yet and my bind off could be neater but loose knits are more forgiving of irregularities, I think. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! What yarn did you use? :)

    And thank goodness for Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind off! It's my favorite bind off for socks.

    I can't wait to see your next knooking project. Is it easier than using knitting needles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wina! :) I used Derya Cotton from Ice Yarns, it's a cotton-acrylic-polyamide blend, sport weight, I think.

      I like knooking for loosely knit stockinette because it gives me better control over my tension, but stitch patterns that closely switch from knits to purls on a single row are quite hard for me to execute with my knook (e.g. lace, 1x1 ribbing). :)

      Delete